Lapsed License Information

Nurse Aide: 

I have not worked as a nurse aide in a while and my registry status has lapsed. How do I reactivate?

  • If you are listed on Nebraska’s state nurse aide registry as “lapsed,” you will need to successfully pass both Nebraska’s state written and clinical nurse aide exams within three attempts or you will need to retake the class.
  • If you would like to review the nurse aide requirements prior to testing, you can call Nebraska Health Care Association at 402-435-3551 to ask about purchasing a nurse aide student manual and workbook or you can enroll in the online basic nursing assistant skills review course here.
  • If you feel your status on Nebraska’s state nurse aide registry is in error or you have questions, contact Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services at 402-471-4322. 

Medication Aide: 

I have a lapsed status on Nebraska’s state registry as a medication aide 40-hour. How do I become active again? 

  • A nurse, such as one in the employment setting, must verify your 10 competencies.
  • Taking the medication aide 40-hour exam does not meet the lapsed status competency requirements.
  • You also must submit the Reapplication for Registration form and an $18 non-refundable fee.
  • If you are unable to access a nurse to test your competencies, email Nebraska Health Care Learning Center at [email protected] for assistance.